The Butler Ambulance Service, established by Clarence Bacher, began serving the community in January of 1967. Originally located at 333 East Jefferson Street, Butler Ambulance started with just two vehicles: 1957 and 1959 Cadillac ambulances. Staffing these units were two full time employees and four part time employees trained in Advanced First Aid.
Butler Ambulance became a community partner when it started its membership program for the citizens of Butler on August 3rd, 1970. On August 1st, 1974 Butler Ambulance purchased the former Coca-Cola bottling plant at 106 First Street and “Station 99” was established. Also in 1974, Butler Ambulance began staffing ambulances with Emergency Medical Technicians; Paramedics were added to the ambulance crews in 1983. In April of 1995 the Butler Assist Coach Wheelchair Van Service was established to provide transport for individuals either permanently or temporarily disabled.
Today Butler Ambulance remains family owned and operated by Clarence Bacher, his son Dennis, and grandchildren David, Alicia, and Nathan. The service currently operates from three stations: in Butler City, Whitestown Road in Butler Township, and Route 8 North in Center Township. Butler Ambulance’s primary service area includes Butler City and the Townships of: Butler, Center, Brady, Cherry, Clay, Concord, Connoquenessing, Forward, Franklin, and Penn. In addition to the primary response areas, Butler Ambulance also provides assistance to surrounding ambulance services upon request.
The Butler Ambulance fleet consists of:
In April of 1995 the Butler Assist Coach Wheelchair Van Service was established to provide transport for individuals either permanently or temporarily disabled.